Tuesday 29 April 2014

Words in Motion 2014- Feature Poem of the Day for National Poetry Month

He Heard the Call

At one o’clock
I heard the call
On the line was my son Paul
He said “Ma, I’ve got to go.”
Inside my heart was screaming no!

*He heard the call
To stand a fight
For what he thought was right
So the rest of us could live free
A soldier’s what he had to be*

 At four o’clock
Alarms rang out
 “Put on your gear” the captain shouts
He said “Come, we’ve got to go.”
Inside his heart was screaming no!

*Refrain

At eight o’clock
He heard no sound
My son Paul was on the ground
The captain said, we’ve got to go.”
Inside his heart was screaming no!

*Refrain

At twelve o’clock
I heard the call
I picked it up and let it fall
I said “Paul why did you have to go.”
Inside my heart was screaming no!

*Refrain
A soldier’s what he had to be

                          Karla Power

No comments:

Post a Comment