Tuesday 4 January 2011

Julian Schnabel - A Retrospective


















During the Christmas holidays I was able to travel back home to Toronto and enjoy the holiday season with my family and friends. Despite the frenetic pace of my trip I made sure that I had the opportunity fo visit the Art Gallery of Ontario and catch a few of the exhibitions currently on display in the gallery. My original purpose in going to the AGO was to view the Maharaja exhibit. Although the show was fantastic, I was more struck with an exhibit showcasing the works of Julian Schnabel.

Schnabel is an American artist who has spent his life pushing the boundaries of painting while intersecting artistic pursuits by working as an award winning filmaker. The AGO display pays homage to his work by offering a major retrospective examing the connections between painting and film in his work and "tracing how his paintings exist in dialogue with the cinema and reveal the rich interplay between the two media." (http://www.ago.net/ago-to-mount-major-julian-schnabel-exhibition) I found Schnabel's work to have an almost haunting quality to it and particularly enjoyed his portrayal of another well-known artist, Andy Warhol. I've uploaded the image for you all to see.

To view other images by Schnabel you can go to the AGO website. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment